Wholesome blueberry bread
Try this convenient way to get your family to eat a little extra veggie without knowing! A natural source of fibre and protein.
- 2 cups wholemeal flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 1 cup frozen blueberries, unthawed
- 1 ½ cups grated zucchini
- 2 ripe bananas, mashed (1/2 cup)
- 1/3 cup reduced fat milk, or So Good Soy or Almond Milk
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup light flavoured olive oil
- 2 large eggs
- 6 Weet-Bix wheat biscuits, crushed
- Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F). Lightly coat a loaf tin (23 x 13 cm) with cooking spray, line base and two long sides with a strip of baking paper.
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt in a large bowl. Add blueberries and toss to coat.
- Whisk wet ingredients (zucchini, banana, milk, maple syrup, olive oil and eggs) in a separate bowl. Stir through Weet-Bix wheat biscuits to moisten.
- Add wet mixture to dry, and fold until just combined to create a thick batter. Spread into prepared pan.
- Bake 60 - 65 minutes, until top is firm and a skewer inserted into the centre of the loaf comes out clean – cover with foil during the last 20 minutes if top is browning too quickly.
- Cool in tin 5 mins, then turn out on to a rack to cool completely before slicing.
- Make the loaf ahead of time and freeze individual slices for a great mid-morning or after-school snack.
- Zucchini can be substituted with an equal quantity of grated carrot.
- Per Serve
- Energy (kJ)993
- Protein (g)5
- Fat (g)11
- Saturated Fat (g)2
- Carbohydrate (g)29
- Sugars (g)12
- Dietary Fibre (g)3.5
- Sodium (mg)187
- Potassium (mg)288
- Calcium (mg)39
- Iron (mg)2.1