Nut-free muesli bars
Little hands love muesli bars – and with no nuts, these are the perfect make ahead lunch-box treat. Wholefood provided goodness - iron, protein and fibre from seeds and wholegrains.
- 1/2 cup tahini, room temperature
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 cup boiling water
- 3 Weet-Bix wheat biscuits, crushed
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup large seeds (we used a combination of pepitas and sunflower seeds)
- 2 Tbsp flaxseed (linseed) meal
- Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F). Line the base and two sides of a square 20 cm cake tin with a strip of baking paper.
- Combine tahini, honey, salt, cinnamon and boiling water in jug and whisk until smooth.
- Combine dry ingredients (Weet-Bix wheat biscuits through to flax meal) in a large bowl. Add tahini mixture and stir well to evenly coat.
- Spoon mixture into the prepared tin. Use a silicone spatula to firmly press into an even layer.
- Bake 20 minutes until golden. Cool in pan 10 mins, move to a rack and cool completely. Cut into bars to serve.
- Replace honey with maple syrup, or rice syrup, for a vegan bar.
- Add some dried fruit and/or nuts for a tasty twist on this classic.
- Per Serve
- Energy (kJ)1320
- Protein (g)8
- Fat (g)20
- Saturated Fat (g)5
- Carbohydrate (g)27
- Sugars (g)18
- Dietary Fibre (g)4.8
- Sodium (mg)98
- Potassium (mg)220
- Calcium (mg)82
- Iron (mg)2.9