Hazelnut & cranberry biscotti
These Italian-style dunking biscuits are a perfect make-ahead treat for holiday visitors.
- 3 Weet-Bix™, finely crushed
- 1 cup wholemeal flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1⁄4 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- zest from 1 orange
- 1⁄2 cup dried cranberries (60g)
- 3/4 cup hazelnuts, roughly chopped (100g)
- Preheat the oven to 160°C (150°C fan-forced). Line an oven tray with baking paper. Combine Weet-Bix, flour, baking powder, and salt in a bowl. Mix well and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk the sugar and eggs for 2 minutes, until very frothy. Add vanilla and zest and whisk to combine. Add the dry mixture to the wet, and use a sturdy spoon to incorporate. Stir through cranberries and hazelnuts.
- Scrape dough onto the prepared baking pan. Moisten hands with a bit of water, and pat into a log, approximately 30 cm long x 7 cm wide.
- Bake 40 – 45 minutes, until lightly browned and just firm. Remove from oven, and leave to cool on a rack for 20 minutes.
- Transfer biscuit log to a cutting board and use a serrated (bread) knife to cut into 1 cm slices. Place a cooling rack on your oven tray, and arrange cut biscotti in a single layer.
- Return oven to 160°C and bake biscotti for 20 minutes, rotating tray half way through, until dry and just golden. Cool completely on the rack. Store in an airtight container for up to a week, and serve with a hot drink for dunking!
- Change up the zest, nuts, and dried fruit, with an equal quantity of your favourites.
- If you don’t have a cooling rack that fits onto your oven tray, arrange cut biscotti back on the baking paper, and flip half way through the second bake to dry out both sides.
Saturated Fat (g)0.1
Dietary Fibre (g)1.4