Cheese, basil and black pepper muffins
These Cheese, basil and black pepper muffins are a great snack to pack in lunchboxes for kids and adults!
- 2 Weet-Bix
- 2 cups self-raising flour (for more fibre, replace half the white flour with wholemeal self raising flour)
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/5 tsp salt
- lots of freshly cracked black pepper
- 1 1/2 heaping cups cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 handful fresh basil leaves
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC and grease a muffin tin.
- In a large mixing bowl, crumble the Weet-Bix into fine crumbs using your hands. Add the flour, baking powder, salt and black pepper and whisk to combine. Add the cheese and basil and make a well in the centre of the bowl.
- Whisk the eggs in a separate, smaller mixing bowl. Add the milk and stir to combine.
- Pour the egg and milk mixture into the well and gently fold the ingredients until the flour is incorporated.
- Spoon the mixture into the greased muffin holes, filling the mixture about 3/4 of the way.
- Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes (rotating the pan halfway through to ensure even cooking) until a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Store any uneaten muffins in an airtight container or in the freezer, wrapped well and individually in plastic wrap.
- Per Serve
- Energy (kJ)700
- Protein (g)8
- Fat (g)6
- Saturated Fat (g)3
- Carbohydrate (g)20
- Sugars (g)3
- Dietary Fibre (g)1.4
- Sodium (mg)236
- Potassium (mg)136
- Calcium (mg)154
- Iron (mg)1.2